The above liberal inducement was accepted by Messrs. Shibley & Quarles,
who erected a steam saw mill in the spring of 1857, and operated it until
1861, when it was destroyed.
Among the first business enterprises and professions that were established
in Marysville at an early date may be mentioned: Dr. John P. Miller, who
also built the first house on the Palmetto town site, located his practice
in surgery. He
remained in the practice of his profession until 1862, when he died. J. S. Magill was the first one to represent the legal profession, and was a
member of the Palmetto colony.
In 1857-58, these
two little antagonistic towns had a pretty rough class
of citizens, and being outside civilization generally, the pop or the
revolver and the clank of pure steel were familiar sounds, and in the
absence of civil tribunals, anarchy reigned supreme. Marshall bringing
diplomacy to bear, soon succeeded in making Marysville the leading trading
point, and in a few years Palmetto would be forgotten.
The Palmetto Kansan, the first
newspaper printed in the county, was
established December 18, 1857, at Marysville. The paper was a Democratic Pro-slavery organ. Mr. Clardy continued its publication for seven months, when the paper was
suspended. In 1858, an effort was made to resuscitate it, under the name
Marysville Democrat, by a Mr. Childers, but the effort was short lived.
The Democrat Platform was first issued at Marysville in the early part of
1859, which would continue until the Civil War broke out in 1861. a number
of newspapers would following over the years.
The first hotel was opened for the accommodation
of the public was built in 1859 by A. G. Barrett.
Later it would change names and be called the "Tremont House".
That same year Ballard & Morrall, of the town company, opened a drug
Marysville was incorporated as a city by and Act of the Territorial
Legislature, in February, 1861. The same year a
school district was legally organized and a small frame
school building was erected.
November 30, 1863, a preliminary meeting was held at the court house by
citizens of Marysville and vicinity, for the purpose of organizing a
bridge company, to build a bridge across the Big Blue River.
The bridge was of the Howe Truss patent, and
was completed in November, 1864. This bridge served its purpose until the
spring of 1882, when it was replaced by an iron structure by Marysville
One of the primary early industries was the
Excelsior Roller Mills built by Perry Hutchinson in 1864. Established on
the east side of the Big Blue River, the first floor was occupied as a
saw-mill. The rest of the mill was dedicated to custom work and flour, with a capacity of one hundred barrels of per
day. This mill was run by water-power furnished
by the Big Blue River. It was later enlarged giving it the capacity of 250 barrels of flour every twenty-four hours.
By 1866, the town had outgrown the small frame school building and a new
building was constructed of magnesia limestone at a cost of
$8,000. The main building was 35x50 feet, with two additional wings, giving
it four large rooms.
The manufacture of brick first commenced in
1869-70, by Thomas Cooper, who established a brick-yard, with a capacity
of 300,000 per season, in the southern part of the city. In
the spring of 1882, he opened a yard on the south bank of Spring Creek,
and during the season manufactures 6,000 brick per day.
The Exchange Bank was
established at Marysville in March, 1870, by Schmidt & Koeste.
The Sherman House, was opened in 1870, in a frame building 16x24 feet, by
G. D. Swearingen. Later it would be significantly enlarged. That same
year, the first train came into Marshall County over the St. Joseph &
Western Railroad and the next year was extended to Marysville.
In the earlier years of the settlement of Marysville, the population was
in some measure of a transitory nature, and church organizations did not
thrive to any great extent,
although when services were held the attendance was good. Religious
services were first held in Marysville in the summer of 1857 in a saloon.
In the absence of records, tradition states that the first religious
services in Marysville were held in the summer of 1857, in a saloon! Later
services were held in Ballard & Morrall's drug store and in the
Barrett House. A formal organization of the Methodist Church was made in
1866 with meetings held in different parts of the town until April, 1879 a
30x50 foot building was erected. Other church organizations followed
including the Episcopal, Presbyterian, German Evangellical, and Catholic.
The Marshall County Bank, was incorporated under the laws of the State
October 8, 1880, with a cash capital of $50,000.
The manufacture of cigars was carried on extensively in Marshall
County, in which there were four factories, of which three were located at
Marysville, the factory of Charles F. Pusch is the oldest and largest. In
1879, the factory of Charles E. Bendel was established. The firm of Bendel &
Weidermeyer, opened the third factory in May, 1882. Other industries in
Marysville included an
iron foundry and a brewery.
In 1890, Marysville had progressed so far in the advancement of her
educational interests, that it was found necessary to erect another
building. The new structure was accordingly erected on the same block, in
close proximity to the other. The building was a brick structure, 40x70
feet, trimmed with white limestone, and cost $10,000.
1891 Marysville built a $40,000 court-house which it donated to the
In 1910, Marysville sat at the junction of the Union Pacific and the St. Joseph & Grand Island railroads.
It is one of the most important towns of northeastern Kansas both
historically and commercially. It had paved streets, city waterworks,
electric lights, a sewer system, an efficient fire department, three weekly
newspapers (the Courier, the Advocate-Democrat and the News),
factories, a broom factory, flour mill, brick and tile works, planing
mill, grain elevators, banking facilities, all demoninations of churches
and good graded and high schools. The population in 1910 was
By 1917, the town boasted a telephone system, several hotels, restaurants,
an artificial ice plant, and all manner of retail and service businesses.
Marysville's population peaked in 1960 at 4143. Today it is called home to
an estimated 3323 people.
The old Pony Express Station still stands in
This 1859 stone barn was used to stable the ponies
during the 18 months of the Pony Express, 1860-61.
Marysville was the first ‘home station’ west of St. Joseph (a station
where riders as well as horses changed). It is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places.
Marshall County's historic 1891 courthouse is also listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.
Trails Park, features a a full-sized replica of a rope ferry like the one
Frank Marshall used in the 1850’s to carry emigrants, soldiers and
stagecoach travelers across the Blue River. Eight trails crossed the river
here: the Oregon, Pike’s Peak and Mormon Trails, the St. Joe Road, the
Overland stagecoach, military and Pony Express routes, and the trail
followed by Otoe Indians being sent to a reservation in Oklahoma. Take
U.S. 77 south out of Marysville. Turn left immediately after the south
overpass onto the levee road and go 1.4 miles. Turn left into park before
the west overpass.