Afterwards Axtell remained a small town, dropping in population over the
years. Today, it is called home to about 403 people. Its post office and
several businesses remain in operation.
Two miles north of Axtell on 30th Road, just south of Granite Road, is a
marker for the site of the David Smith Inn, a stage station on the
Overland Stage Route. The station and inn “became famous along the stage
line on account of Mr. Smith’s management and Mrs. Smith’s culinary
About 6.5 miles north of Axtell is the site of the now extinct town of
St. Bridget. The church and cemetery still remain. The church is
located on 29th Terrace between Bison and Cherokee Roads. The cemetery is
located on 30th Road ¾ mile north of Deer Trail Road.
Beattie - Located on the west branch of the
Vermillion River, 100 miles west of the Missouri River, Beattie was settled
prior to 1865 by Hugh Hamilton, H. C. Smith, Eli Goldsberry, E. Cain, J.
Totten, G. Thorne, James Fitzgerald, P. Jones and others. The town was
laid out in June, 1870, by the Northern Kansas Land and Town Company, of
St. Joseph, Missouri, on 160 acres owned by James Fitzgerald and J. T.
Watkins. One of the first buildings in the new town was moved from Elmwood
in the spring of 1871 to be used as a depot for the St. Joseph and Western
Railway. A post office was established in July, 1871 and the town was
named for A. Beattie, then Mayor of St. Joseph, Missouri.
J. J. Sheldon, about the same time, moved a building on the town site and
used it as a dwelling. The next building as built by John Watkins. A. J.
and L. Brunswig opened the first store, in the spring of 1872. The first
hotel was built by a Mr. Putcamp in 1873, and called the Sherman
By 1890, Beattie reached its peak population of 648 people. Though
surrounded fertile ground and a thick layer of limestone that led to
several quarries, young Beattie would grow no more. In 1910, the town
boasted banking facilities, a newspaper, telegraph and express offices,
churches and schools, and a money order post office with two rural mail
routes. The population in 1910 was 500.
Over the years, Beattie's population gradually feel and today is called
home to about 195 people. It still retains a post office. The city has
been called "The Milo Capital of the World" and hosts the annual "Beattie
Beattie is located about 15 miles east of Marysville.
Bremen - An unincorporated
village of Marshall County, Breman is located nine miles northwest of
Marysville. The settlement was laid out by Henry Brenneke, a native of
Bremen, Germany in 1886. He built the first house on the southeast corner
of his farm near the line of the
St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad. The same year he erected a store
building in which he carried general merchandise and in March, 1877
established a post office with himself as postmaster. In addition, Mr.
Brenneke also carried on an extensive livestock and grain business.
Carl Schultz built a blacksmith shop in 1888 and two years later, in 1890,
Joseph Sedlacek built a hardware store with a spacious hall in the second
story. Charles Fischer started a restaurant and lodging house soon after,
and Louis Pralle built a store for general merchandise. William Raemer,
from Herkimer, opened a lumber yard, which he later sold to the Dursee
brothers. In August, 1907, the State Bank of Bremen was organized and did
a flourishing business.
During the night of March 17, 1908, the little town was entirely wiped out
by fire causing a loss of more than $20,00. But undismayed by this
calamity, the good people proceeded at once to rebuild in a more
substantial manner and soon a much better town was erected.
In 1910, the town boasted banking facilities,
telegraph and express offices and a post office with two rural mail
routes, and a population of 200 people.
In 1917, the town boasted Sedlacek & Son, a hardware, furniture and auto
supply store; Rengstorft Brothers' Hardware, Prell Merchandise Company,
the Bremen State Bank, a grain elevator, a blacksmith, a lumber yard, a
hotel, a telephone exchange and an insurance company.
The first settlement made in the vicinity of what is now known as
Herkimer, was by the Fredericks' Brothers and H. Lenker, who settled on
Horseshoe Creek in 1858. They were followed in 1859 and 1860 by H.
Hibermann, the three Reamer brothers, I. and N. Holloway, James Bartlou,
T. Koeneke and others. School district No. 63 was organized in 1870, and a
stone schoolhouse built. In 1874, through the efforts of O. Keller, a post
office was established under the name Reamer Creek, with F. Reamer acting
as postmaster. A few weeks later the office was discontinued.
In 1878, a town site was laid off on a tract of land owned by O. Keller,
who was its founder. The first business house built in the place was
erected by W. Ulch -- who remained about two years. Other business
enterprises followed, including a post office on July 18, 1878. It was
named for a town by the same name in New York. In 1881 the school was
destroyed by a severe storm but was rebuilt in the summer of 1882.
Located on the St. Joseph and Western Railroad and in the midst of a rich
agricultural community it was the business center for Logan Township in
1910. At that time, it had a telegraph, express and post office, and the
population was 225.
The post office closed its doors in May, 1974. Though the population of
the town is unknown today, Herkimer Township is called home to about 230
people. Herkimer is located on a bend of Reamer Creek, five miles
northwest of Marysville.
Continued Next Page