LEGENDS OF KANSAS

 

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs

 
 

Extinct Towns of Marshall County, Kansas

Bookmark and Share
 

Extinct Towns:

Barrett

Bigelow

Carden

Guittard Station

Irving

Mina

St. Bridget

Sylvan

More Extinct Towns

 

 

Marshall County, Kansas Historic Map

Marshall County, Kansas Map, 1899

 

 

 


Barrett - One of the oldest settled points in Marshall County, the first white resident outside of the French traders was G. H. Hollenberg, who later founded the settlement of Hollenberg in Washington Couty, Kansas. He located to this vicinity in 1854 and opened a store for the accommodation of the emigrants to California. In 1855 a colony of 60 people from Cadiz, Ohio, selected a tract in the Vermillion valley for a settlement. A post office was opened in 1857 and named Barrett for one of the Ohio colonists, A.G. Barrett. Mr. Barrett laid out the townsite in 1868 and gave the Missouri Pacific Railroad 40 acres of land in consideration of their building a depot and side track. In 1910 it had a money order post office and a population of 75 people. Its post office closed in 1940. It was located 20 miles southeast of Marysville and three miles from Frankfort. It was the second oldest town in Marshall County, after, Marysville. There is a marker at 19th Terrace and Wildcat Road.

 

 

Bigelow, Kansas Bigelow - Located six and a half miles southwest of Frankfort, Bigelow was founded in 1881 and named for General Alfred Bigelow. It gained a post office the same year. It was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and known for its limestone quarries. In fact the railroad liked the quality of the limestone so much, they purchased the entire quantity of the quarry.  In 1910, its population peaked at 200, at which time it had a bank, express and telegraph offices, a newspaper, lumberyard, and several stores. Unfortunately, the quarry closed the same year, causing the rapid decline of the town. The quarry reopened briefly in 1940. he post office closed in 1960 and the town was demolished during the construction of Tuttle Creek Lake. All that remains is a historical marker at the intersection of 17th and Zenith Roads and Antioch Cemetery.

 

 

Carden  - A hamlet of Marshall county, it was located four miles from Marysville on the St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad. It was founded in about 1902 on the farm of Mrs. Ottilia Carden, for whom the town was named. The first building in town was a grain elevator erected by J.E. Andrews. Ed Crevier next built a store and a blacksmith shop. The town gained a post office in 1903. In 1910 it had telegraph and express offices, a post office, general lines of merchandising and a population of 50. In 1917, the small town was shipping from 200-300 hundred cars of grain and stock each year, but the town was called home to only four families. There was no church, but there was a small school. Its post office closed its doors forever in 1923.

 

 

Guittard Station - George Guittard, a French immigrant, came to America in 1833. He journeyed west in 1857 with his family of five, traveling by rail to St. Louis, Missouri by river steamer to St. Joseph, and by ox team to Kansas. Their ranch on Vermillion Creek became the first permanent settlement in northeast Marshall County. In 1859 George Guittard built a 12-room, two story lodge to accommodate the needs of more and more people passing through by wagon, coach, and horseback. Guittard Station became a thoroughfare for Russell, Majors, and Waddell’s  Overland stage line and the Ft. Leavenworth to Fort Kearny Military Road. The station served as an inn to refresh travelers, sell supplies and water, graze and shelter animals, and aid in repairing wagons and coaches.

 

Guittard Station, KansasThis location became a relay station for the famous Pony Express in 1860 as part of its mail dispatch between Missouri and California. The station had two stables with over 20 horses. Mounts were prepared for riders, saddled and ready. A fresh horse, water, and food made Guittard Station a welcome stop after a fast ride across the rolling green prairie. In late 1860, the noted English traveler, Richard F. Burton saw the Pony Express rider arrive at Guittard's Station. Burton described the station as a "clump of board houses on the far side of a shady, well-wooded creek—the Vermillion, a tributary of the Big Blue River..."

 

George's son, Xavier Guittard, managed the station and became the first postmaster in 1861. He would serve as such for 42 years, distributing mail through pigeon holes inside the west entrance of Guittard Station. A large, two-story house provided living quarters and a waiting room for stage passengers, and the roomy barn accommodated a blacksmith shop and stalls for some 24 horses. This was the most noted stage station on the Ben Holladay Overland stage line between the Missouri river and Denver, Colorado.

 

In 1910 the post office was discontinued, the house was dismantled, and the lumber went into building a new dwelling on the same site. That same year, the settlement had a population of 28 people and received its mail from Beattie.

 

The site is located about eight miles northeast of Marysville on private property. A marker sits a short distance west of the site. Though no remnants of the station exist, part of the original boards from the station were used in a barn that still stands. The Pony Express Re-ride takes place along this route each year. The marker is on the east side of 21st Road between Frontier and Granite Roads, three miles north of Beattie.

 

 

Hull - Located on the Big Blue River and the Union Pacific Railroad, Hull was located seven miles north of Marysville.  It was named for a great manufacturing city in England. It was laid out by John Nesbitt who owned the land and induced the railroad to put in a switch in 1884. S. C. McCarter built the first residence in Hull and John King erected the first store. R. G. Williams built the second store in 1886 which became the location of a post office in 1887 with H. P. Benson appointed postmaster. In its earliest days there were just five resident families. The railway station was built in 1898. The first elevator was built in 1891 by David Daikers and operated by him until 1894, when he sold out to the Nebraska Elevator Company, which built a much larger elevator, which they own now.

 

In 1891 Hull having become a logical shipping point for the surrounding country, the commissioners were petitioned to build a bridge over the Blue river. which they refused to do. At that time the farmers were required to ferry their grain across the river from farms on the west. So, three energetic men united their efforts, donated liberally, and secured donations from others, for a bridge fund. These three men were Andrew J. Travelute, H. P. Benson and Grant \/Villiams. One stone mason was hired and all other labor was donated by farmers. The east approach to the bridge was finished during the fall of 1891 and through the efforts of a county commissioner the west approache was built and the bridge completed the following year. In 1910 the town had some local trade and a population of 25. Its post office closed in 1921.

 

 

Irving, Kansas 1909Irving - Located six miles southeast of Blue Rapids along the Big Blue River, Irving was originally founded in 1859 by a group of families from Iowa and Illinois. They named the town after author Washington Irving. In February, 1860, the Irving Town Company was incorporated by the Territorial Legeislature. But, quickly afterwards, In the spring of 1860, a severe drought ruined crops and forced some farmers to lose their land. Over the summer the area was wracked with fierce winds and thunderstorms that blew down buildings, took roofs and damaged the saw mill. Though obviously suffering, the town gained a post office in June, 1860. However, by fall, some residents chose to leave and return to their home states or settle in other parts of Kansas. However, the majority remained and soon others came in. In 1861, the first church in Marshall County was completed.

 

The survey of what was then known as the Atchison & Pike's Peak Railroad, was completed to Irving in November, 1865. In 1866, the community was invaded by grasshoppers that also destroyed crops and damaged trees. Still the community held tight and in the fall of 1867 the CBUP Railroad arrived and depot was built. The first schoolhouse was built in 1868. A hotel was erected in 1870, which was called the Irving House. The following year, the city of Irving was incorporated. However, the first city election was all that was ever carried out by Irving as a city, as the officers elected did not qualify; the charter was surrendered, and the "City of Irving" soon became a thing of the past.

 

The town would have another grasshopper plague in 1875. Despite these hardships, in 1878, Irving was described as "being located in one of the best settled and best cultivated portions of Marshall County"

On May 30, 1879, two tornadoes destroyed most of the town, leaving 19 dead and many more injured. This caused people to leave Irving but buildings were rebuilt and new businesses moved in allowing Irving to regain its prominence as a local agricultural center.

During the summer of 1903, the Big Blue River flooded and destroyed homes, crops and bridges. The river threatened to do it again in 1908 but the townspeople were prepared and were able to keep the river within its banks. In 1910 the population was estimated at 403 and boasted good banking facilities, numerous stores, a weekly newspaper, telegraph and express offices, graded schools, public library, churches of all denominations.


When plans for the construction of the Tuttle Creek Dam were announced, the population started to decrease and many businesses closed, including the post office in 1960. The townsite was abandoned the same year after the dam was constructed even though the lake was miles away. Today, the town's road network is still visible, foundations for building can still be seen and a stone marker sits in a makeshift park along with a mailbox and notebook that visitors can write notes in at at Zenith and 12th Roads.

 

 

Mina - Once a trading point between Axtell and Summerfield, it was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, 20 miles northeast of Marysville. After the railroad tracks were laid in 1887, a town was platted six miles south of Summerfield, where J. R. Sittler had built a warehouse in 1888 and bought grain. A year later W. G. Wooley and Newman Erb laid out a town and named it Mina, for the wife of Sittler.

 

A railroad depot was built in 1889 with L. Rouse, who had charge of the grain elevator, as agent. The same year J. R. Sitler built a grain elevator and a post office was established on November 20th.  In 1890 A. C. Axtell erected a store building and L.D. Rouse erected the first residence just north of the store. A blacksmith shop was built by farmers in 1894 and a church building began being built the same year. The church was dedicated in June, 1895. A school house was built in 1898. By 1910 Mina had a population of 38. However, it did not grow and even though their was signficant shipping of grain and livestock in 1917, it was called home to only 13 people. In the end, the railroad failed to survive, the brick depot was sold and razed, the schoolhouse was moved, and the townsite returned to the land. The post office closed on December 15, 1925.

 

 

St. Bridge, Kansas ChurchSt. Bridget - Located about 6.5 miles north of Axtell, this area was first settled in 1857 by a group of Irish immigrants. The first Mass was offered in a home in 1859 by a priest from St. Benedict Abbey in Atchison, Kansas. The parish was established in 1862, becoming the first Catholic parish in Marshall County. By 1869, enough people lived in the area to justify a post office which opened on March 23, 1869. With a bright future, the area residents began making plans to build a new church with construction beginning in 1905. However, it was at about this same time that the parish reached its peak with over 85 farm families. The post office closed in 1906, but work on the church continued. It was completed at a cost of $30,000 in 1908.

 

The Red brick church measures 50 feet wide and 100 feet long. It has a unique interior featuring 8 long stained glass windows that depict biblical subjects or saints and high vaulted ceilings. The architect George Studuhar, used Gothic style pointed arched vaults and half vaults in the design. The church was dedicated by Bishop Lillis on September 2, 1908.

 

Unfortunately, during the 1920's and 30's the rural population dwindled. In 1967 the church was closed by the Archdiocese of Kansas City, as there were only 20 remaining families in the parish. In 1970, former parishioners established the St. Bridget Historical Society to maintain the church and cemetery. In 1972, the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas gave the deed to the church building to the St. Bridget Historical Society.

 

In October of 1995, the Kansas State Historical Society declared the church building a "historical landmark" and nominated the building to the national Registry of Historic Places. In September of 1996, the church was accepted and listed on the National Registry.

At one time, in addition to the church and parish house, stood a school, a convent, a parish hall and a few town buildings. There was also a general store and a few residences located near the church.

The church is located on 29th Terrace between Bison and Cherokee Roads. The Cemetery is located one half mile south and east of the church. It is the original site of the first church building, erected in 1862 or 1863. The cemetery is still being used by former parish families.

 

 

Sylvan - Located section 25, township 3, range 8 (now Center township) a new town called Sylvan was established in 1857. A post office was established in August of the same year. In 1858 it was made the county seat of Marshall County. The prime mover in this affair was T. S. Vaile, a member of the Free-State Kansas Territorial Legislature from Kansas Territorial Legislature from Marshall County. Marysville at that time was reputedly a pro-slavery town, and Vaile had an act passed removing the county seat to Sylvan. A body of men representing the Nebraska Town Company came to Sylvan at that time with 24 oxen and wagons loaded with lumber to build the town; they also brought some mercantile goods which they sold in a tent. No buildings were erected. In September, 1858 the post office closed. One can surmise that the post office was held in someone's home, since no buildings were built in the new town. 

 

The only official business transacted at the new county seat was the canvassing of the vote of 1859. There being no house at Sylvan, the county commissioners held their session in the house of George D. Swearingen, a mile distant. The vote of the "people" returned the county seat status to Marysville. After Sylvan was abandoned as the county seat, the Nebraska Town Company left their lumber on the ground and departed. The lumber was at once was confiscated. No direct charge was made as to who took it, but as a certain self-styled county seat was badly in need of lumber, that useful building material may have found its way there. For fifty years the name of Sylvan was but a memory until 1909, when the Union Pacific Railroad was extended from Topeka to Marysville, and on the site selected for Sylvan was built the town of Winifred.

 

 

More Extinct Towns

 

 

Town

 

Post Office Dates

Additional Information

Afton

1893-1898

1900-1901

Was located ten miles southwest of Marysville.
Ash Point NA A stage station on the Overland Trail between Seneca and Guittard Station. It was located a few miles north of where Axtell now stands.
 

Bennett's Station

 

1858-1859 Probably at the home of Moses Bennett on Coon Creek, where he kept a feed and supply station.
Blanchville 1871-1879

The post office was named for Horatio Blanchard, postmaster and early settler. It was located on the northeast corner of section 22 in Walnut township.

 

Cedar Falls NA Was located 2.5 miles northwest of Waterville on Little Blue River. In 1858, William Pearsoll built a combination grist and saw-mill at Cedar Falls, later acquired by Rufus R. Edwards, of Marysville. There is nothing left of this mill.
Elm Creek, a post office located on south Elm creek at the home of John Means, postmaster, an early settler.
 
Cottage Hill NA Cottage Hill was laid out before 1872, but never had a post office. It was located in Section 22 of the Cottage Hill Township.
Elizabeth 1868-1872 Located one mile northeast of Bigelow, there was a feed and supply station near Inmans Quarries.
Elm Creek 1874-1893 A Post office was located on south Elm Creek at the home of John Means, postmaster and early settler.
Fairland 1863-1869  
Gertrude NA

Founded January 2, I861, vacated 1864. It was located one mile northwest of Marysville on the hilltop, west of the mill. It consisted of a small frame house where its wner sold “necessaries” to the emigrants.

 

Granite Falls/Marble Falls NA

Established on Little Blue River near the mouth of Fawn Creek on section 24, Waterville township. Marble Falls was established in 1867 by Judge Lewis, father of Mrs. E. A. Berry, of Waterville. When the railroad located to Waterville, the buildings were moved from Marble Falls to Waterville.

 

Heasleyville NA A stage station in Center Township, named for Jerry Heasley, a stage driver and early-day “character.”
Independence Crossing NA

A trading post six miles south of Marysville in 1848, located at the point where General Fremont forded the Big Blue River in 1842, and where the Mormons crossed in later years.

 

Lagrange 1875-1901

Located in the southeastern part of the county, about 21 miles from Marysville, it had 25 inhabitants in 1910 and received its mail from Frankfort. The post office was located on section 21 of Clearfork Township.

 

Lanesburgh 1863-1868 Lanesburg, or Lanes Crossing, was on the Big Blue River between Irving and Blue Rapids.
Manley 1881-1890  
Merrimac 1859-1862

Located southeast of Irving in 1858 and abandoned in 1864; was at the present location of the Merrimac school house.
Merrimac, platted in 1867, ten miles west of Irving.

 

New Dayton 1858-1860  
Otoe NA A stage station on the Oketo cutoff on the Otoe Indian reserve.

Ramer Creek

1873-1874 It was named for the Raemer Brothers, early permanent settlers.
Reedsville/Heaslyville 1870-1902

A post office in Center Township named for Allen Reed, postmaster, keeper of a store and prominent settler. Name changed from Heaslyville to Reedsville in 1873.

 

Schroyer 1889-1918

Founded in 1886 by settlers named Shroyer. After a sign painter inserted a “c” by mistake on the sign for the depot, the railroad refused to correct it. Located on the Union Pacific Railroad, it had  express and telegraph offices, a postoffice, some general stores, and a population of 82 in 1910. Nothing remains of the town now but the depot sign, mounted on poles by the road. The site itself is private property. About 7/10 mile north of Alcove Spring on the East River Road. Located six miles south of Marysville.

 

Stolzenbach 1875-1891 A post office located on section 1, Balderson Township, at the home of Peter Merklinghaus.

Swede Creek

1875-1895 Swede Creek was located one mile north of Cottage Hill in Cottage Hill Township.
Taos 1883-1885

Located where Salem Lutheran Church now stands. W. F. Robinson was postmaster.

Thomas 1897-1900

Located in the extreme southwest part of the county, 18 miles from Marysville, it had a population in 1910 of 40 people and recived its mail by rural route from Waterville.

 

Vermillion City 1856-1859 Located near where the Vermillion Creek empties into the Big Blue River.
Wells 1878-1884

Named for John D. Wells, the earliest permanent settler in the county. It was a post office in WellsTtownship, and John D. Wells was the postmaster.

 

Westella 1883-1886 Was located seven miles north of Beattie.
Wyoming 1862-1901

Located in the extreme southeastern part of the county, 24 miles from Marysville, the population in 1910 was 27 and received its mail by rural route from Frankfort.

 


 

Compiled by Kathy Weiser/Legends of Kansas, February, 2017
 

Sources:

 

Back Roads Touring

Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.

Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883

Foster, Emma; History of Marshall County, Kansas: Its People, Industries, and Institutions, F. Bowen, 1917

Kansas Historical Society

Marshall County, Kansas

National Park Service

Wikipedia


 

From Legends' General Store

Purchase Historic Maps on CDHistoric Maps on CDFrom historic maps of the United States and North America, to the Civil War Native American, Railroads, the Revolutionary War and numerous States & Cities, you'll find dozens archival maps in this product offering. Great for locating old towns and locations of places that have changed names. Treasure hunters can find these very useful in locating long lost places. Digital images of maps are usually quite large. Shipped on CD's and affordably priced at just $12.95. Or get whole collections at greater savings. To see them all, click HERE!

Historic maps on CD

 
  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of America      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits  

Copyright © 2009-Present, www.Legends of Kansas.com is a web property of Legends Of America