Little Arkansas River -
Pronounced ahr-KAN-zez, this river is 90 miles and long and located in
South Central Kansas. The
starting point of this stream is not far from the town of Geneseo in Rice
County. It flows in a southeasterly direction through the counties of
Rice, McPherson, Reno, Harvey and Sedgwick, and empties into the
at in Wichita. The origin of the name is unknown, but the stream
was the Little Arkansas as early as 1825, when the
Santa Fe Trail was surveyed and
the names of the streams were given. The Osage
Indians called the
stream the "Ne-Shutsa-Shinka," the "Young, or Little Red Water." The river
has high banks in many places, making it rather difficult to cross, and
the flow is subject to sudden rises.
Pratz's 1757 map of Louisiana the course of the Arkansas River
is correctly given, and at the junction of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers, a
gold mine is marked.
This section was a favorite hunting ground with the
with buffalo and other game being very plentiful. In October, 1865, a treaty was
made with the Indians on the east bank of this stream, in which William S.
Harney, Kit Carson, John B. Sanhorn, William W. Bent, Jesse H.
Leavenworth, Thomas Murphy and James Steel represented the United States,
while Black Kettle, Seven Bulls, Little Raven and others looked after the
interests of the Indians.
Little Osage River - A
tributary of the
Osage River in eastern
Kansas and western
rises in southeastern Anderson and northeastern Allen Counties of Kansas
as three short streams -- the North, Middle and South Forks. The forks
converge in northwestern Bourbon County and the river flows generally
eastward past Fulton, Kansas into Vernon County, Missouri, where it passes Stotesbury and collects the Marmaton River. On the boundary of Vernon and
Bates Counties of Missouri, the Little Osage River joins the Marais des
Cygnes River to form the Osage River,
six miles west of Schell City, Missouri.
Blackbear Bosin's The Keeper of the Plains sculpture sits
the confluence of the Arkansas
and Little Arkansas
next to the Mid-America All Indian Center in Wichita.