LEGENDS OF KANSAS

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs
Legends of Kansas  Legends Of America  Legends General Store  Legends Photo Shop

  Search our sites

Custom Search

Google

  Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter Page

Legends of Kansas

Counties
History
Legends & Tales
People
Places
Towns

  Also see:

  Legends of America

 

Legends of America's Rocky Mountain General Store

 

Old West Mercantile
Route 66 Emporium
TeePee Trading Post

Book Shelf

DVDs
Postcard Rack

Tin Signs

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legend's Photo Print Shop

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Writing Credits

 

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

Old Jefferson Town in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Visit the Rocky Mountain General Store

    Bookmark and Share

Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

Welcome to Old Jefferson Town in Oskaloosa, Kansas Kathy Weiser, September, 2005.

 

Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

Old Jefferson Town in Oskaloosa, Kansas, Kathy Weiser, September, 2005.

 

 

Old Jefferson Town tells the story of Jefferson County, Kansas in a collection of eight restored and furnished vintage buildings moved from various locations in Jefferson County. Located in Oskaloosa, the Jefferson County Historical Society has moved and preserved these historic buildings to a nearly ten acre park on U.S. Highway 59. The historic village includes a blacksmith shop, jail, general store, church, school house, a Victorian home, and the John Steuart Curry boyhood home & museum. The site also includes an art gallery and genealogical research center.

 

Preservation of the village began in 1967 when Bill and Betty Leech donated 4 acres to the Jefferson County Historical Society. Later the Leeches contributed another five acres. Over the years, these many buildings were refurbished, furnished, a genealogical library added, a native grass and wild flower prairie planted, and much more. All of the buildings are open on weekends in the summer. The Research Library is open year round on Saturdays, with extended hours from April through November.

 

The Museum Building, which houses historic displays, as well as the Research Library was once two separate buildings that served as the Kilgour and Plum Grove Schools before being moved to Old Jefferson Town. The front of the building houses the library which contains and abundance of information including newspapers and numerous records for the census, cemeteries, military, marriage, church and town histories, and resource books.

 

More Information:

 

Old Jefferson Town

P.O. Box 174 - Highway 59

Oskaloosa, Kansas  66066-0373

785-863-2070

  

 

Kathy Weiser/Legends of Kansas, May, 2010.

 

 

Also See:  Oskaloosa, Kansas

 

 

 Winchester Jail at Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

The Winchester Jail was relocated from Winchester to Old Jefferson Town in 1977. The building also served as a meeting place for the city council, police court and a voting site. Kathy Weiser, September, 2005.

 

Edmonds Chapel, Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

Edmonds Chapel, originally located four miles north of McLouth, was completed in 1891. It was moved ot Old Jefferson Town in 1970. Kathy Weiser, September, 2005.

 

Wellman School, Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

The Wellman School was built in 1887 on the homestead of Harrison

 W. Wellman, in the southeast part of Jefferson County. It is typical of

 the many one-room country schools that were located every few miles

 within the county. Kathy Weiser, September, 2005. 
 

Wellman School, Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

Wellman School was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1970  and is

 furnished as an old county school complete with desks, chalk, slates,  and more. Kathy Weiser, September, 2005.

Nincehelser, Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

Nincehelser House - Built about 1885 by William Nincehelser, who moved from Ohio about 1880. He was a coal dealer and livery stable operator. The home stood in the 500 block of Cherokee Street in Oskaloosa until it was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1980. Kathy Weiser, September, 2005. 

 

 

John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum, Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, Kansas

John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum - Curry was an American

 painter whose career spanned from 1924 until his death in 1946. He

 was noted for his paintings depicting life in his home state, Kansas.

 Along with Thomas Hart Benton and Grant Wood, he was hailed as

 one of the three great painters of American Regionalism of the first

 half of the twentieth century. The home was built in 1900, when

 he was just three years old. It was moved to Old Jefferson Town

 in 1990. Kathy Weiser, September, 2005. 

 

From Legends' General Store

Kansas PostcardsKansas Postcards - If you're like we are and can't get enough of Kansas, take a virtual tour through our many Kansas Postcards. Each one of these is unique and, in many cases, we have only one available, so don't wait. To see them all, click HERE!

Kansas postcards for sale.

 

                                            Copyright 2009-2013, www.Legends of Kansas.com a web property of Legends Of America