- John Brown Country
Located in the southwest Miami County, on the
Marais des Cygnes River,
this historic Kansas
town sits in the midst of numerous trees and rolling hills. The town was
established by agents of the
Emigrant Aid Society when Kansas
was trying to become a state. It was surveyed in February, 1855, and the name
was formed formed by combining Osa, of the Osage Indians, with "watomie" of
The first building was erected by a man named Samuel Geer, who used it as
both a dwelling and boarding house. The Emigrant Aid
Company established a sawmill about ½ mile below the town site on the south
bank of the Marais des Cygnes River,
from which came much of the lumber for more new buildings.
These were soon followed by a blacksmith named Mr. Holdridge and a drug store was opened by Dr. Darr, Samuel Geer opened the
first store and hotel in 1855 and was appointed the first Postmaster in
December when a post office was established in the store.
first church organized was the Congregational, in April, 1856, by Reverend
Samuel L. Adair,
brother-in-law, but it would be several years before a church was built. A
Methodist Church congregation would also be established that year, meeting in
settlement, established during the years of the
Kansas-Missouri Border War,
quickly became a target of the pro-slavery faction. The first attack was made on
the town on June 7, 1856, when a party of about 150 Missourians, under command
of John W. Whitfield, learning that most of the men of the
Free-State forces were occupied elsewhere, converged on the settlement. No
resistance was made, and beyond plundering some houses and running off horses,
no great damage was done. The village, at this time, consisted of about thirty
buildings, actual population about 200. But, this was to be just the first
the morning of August 30, 1856, Frederick Brown, son of abolitionist John Brown, left Osawatomie before sunrise to travel to
Lawrence. On his way, he was killed by men of the pro-slavery faction.
Messengers were at once dispatched to notify the people in the village,
John Brown, who quickly made plans for defense of the settlement.
John Brown, with 41 men took a position in the timber on the south side of
the Marais des Cygnes River.
As the Missourians passed by the settlement, the Free-State men fired upon them.
Armed with a cannon, the pro-slavery men returned the fire, and Brown’s men were
forced to retreat. The Missourians then entered the town and commenced to
pillage and burn it. They first fired the blockhouse, in which several men were
stationed, and only four houses escaped being destroyed. When the ruffians left
they had two wagons filled with their wounded and ten loaded with the plunder
taken from the homes of the citizens.
Free-State men lost about six men killed or captured, and several more were
seriously wounded. It is supposed that the Missourians suffered about the same
number in dead and wounded, although it was never definitely known.
Notwithstanding these battles and the general troubles of
the times, Osawatomie grew and prospered, and in 1857 had grown to about
800 people. The first school was taught in the winter of 1857-58 by Mr.
Squires, in a frame schoolhouse. The Congregational Church also met in the
school building. The first newspaper in the community also was established
in 1857, called The Southern Kansas Herald.
Having lost his original hotel in the
Battle of Osawatomie, Samuel Geer built a larger two story frame hotel
in 1858. It was here, that Horace Greeley, Republican Party founder and
New York Times editor, made a speech to an assembly of about 5,000 people
at the first convention of the Kansas Republican Party in the spring of
In 1860, the town’s only newspaper, the Southern Kansas
Herald, was sold and moved to Paola. It would be several years before
another was established in the community, In 1861, the Reverend Samuel L.
Adair built a new stone Congregational Church.
In 1866 the first state hospital for the insane was
established about a mile northeast of Osawatomie. It would eventually
become one of the largest institutions in the state. Though no longer
called the "Kansas Insane Asylum," the psychiatric hospital still exists,
and since 1901, has been called the "Osawatomie State Hospital."
Before the Civil War, the mentally ill had
been placed in poor houses, workhouses, or prisons when their families
couldn't take of them. However, by the 1860s, Americans wanted to provide
better assistance to the less fortunate, including the mentally ill and
between 1825 and 1865, the number of insane asylums in the United States
increased from nine to 62. "The Lodge," as it was familiarly called in the
beginning, was simply a farmhouse that admitted its first patient on
November 5, 1866. It grew to an average patient population of 13. In no
time the two wards, which could accommodate 12 patients each plus the
employees who cared for them was filled. Two years later, construction of
the Main Building began. When it was fully completed in 1886, the large
brick structure ranged from two to five stories, contained two wings, in
which the patents lived. In the center were the administrative offices,
pharmacy, dental clinic, canteen, and patients’ library. Afterwards, the
"Lodge" was used first as an isolation building for patients with
smallpox, then as a farm building before it was torn down.
The Kansas Insane Asylum was established in 1866. It is still
operation today as a psychiatric hospital now called
the Osawatomie State Hospital, photo early 1900s.
Additional buildings were added over the years and by the turn of the
century it included dormitories for employees, shops, an electric power
plant, ice house, bakery, laundry, barns, greenhouses and a reservoir. In
1912, it could serve more than 1,000 patients. My the mid 20th Century,
newspapers began to run report on the deplorable conditions of of state
run hospitals which included neglect, brutality, overcrowded facilities,
and the use of restraints. Soon, the Governor and the legislature acted
and reform began that included new facilities and training programs for
center,” which included a swimming pool, well-equipped auditorium, and a modern
gymnasium was completed in 1963. Sadly, the main building was razed in 2002, but
several other historic buildings continue to stand. On the outskirts of the
property sits a sad little cemetery, where no names are contained on the
tombstones -- only numbers. The hospital is much smaller today, serving only 176
patients. We have read reports that the grounds are allegedly haunted and were
not surprised. However, we could find no detailed reports of activity.
Railroads arrived in the early 1870’s, at which time the
town prospered as a shipping point for the rich agricultural country
surrounding it. The town gained another newspaper, called The Osawatomie
Times in 1881, but it was only published for a year. That same year, the
Methodist Church congregation built the second church in the community. By
the early 1880’s, the town had a stone schoolhouse, two general stores,
two grocery stores, two hardware stores, a drug store, furniture store,
lumber yard, two hotels, three blacksmith shops, a wagon shop, and about
By the early 1900s, the town had once again gained
newspapers, including the Graphic and Globe, both weeklies. A
larger school building was constructed in 1906. By 1910, the town boasted
more than 4,000 people.
Over the next century, though Osawatomie moved into
the future, it always maintained its small town atmosphere and agricultural
economic base, as well as holding tightly to its rich history. Today, this
community of about 4,600 people provides a number of historic sites for
Kansas-Missouri Border War
is the 1877 Soldiers Monument, erected to honor the five men killed in the
Battle of Osawatomie, located at 9th & Main Street.
Memorial Park and State Historic Site, situated on the land where the
Battle of Osawatomie took place, is the old Adair Cabin, which serves as a museum today.
The site is located at 10th and Main Street.
The Railroad Depot Museum, located
at 628 Main Street, commemorates Osawatomie's history as a railroad center.
Several other historic buildings and bridges can be seen throughout the town on
a Driving Tour of the city.
City of Osawatomie
Osawatomie, Kansas 66064
of Kansas, updated March, 2017.
An old building remains on the Osawatomie State Hospital campus,
Kathy Weiser, May, 2010.
Osawatomie downtown today, Kathy Weiser, May, 2010.
Osawatomie Depot Museum, Kathy Weiser, May, 2004.
John Brown Museum, Kathy Weiser, May, 2010.
Legends' General Store
Kansas - The Sunflower State - From
to Old West Forts,
and Route 66,
to interesting people including