LEGENDS OF KANSAS

 

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs

 

Towns & Places of Linn County, Kansas

Bookmark and Share
 

Towns

Blue Mound
Centerville 
La Cygne
Linn Valley
Mound City (county seat)
Parker 
Pleasanton
Prescott 
Trading Post 

 

Extinct Towns

 

Museums & Historic Sites

 

 

 

Linn County, Kansas Map, 1899

Linn County map, 1899.

 

 

 

The Linn County Courthouse in Mound City, Kansas

The Linn County Courthouse in Mound City today,

Kathy Weiser, June, 2010.

 

 

Historic La Cygne, Kansas

Historic La Cygne, Kansas

Blue Mound, Kansas in 1912.Blue Mound - Located about 13 miles southwest of Mound City, the town was first situated about ˝ mile north of the present site and called Blue Mounds. It was first settled in 1854 by a man named John Quincy Adams, who served as the first postmaster. Sitting at an elevation of about 50 feet, It was called "Blue Mounds" by Mr. Adams, because from a distance it looks blue. 

 

Some time afterward, it was moved one mile south, probably in 1863, as a new post office was established on June 10, 1863, which would remain open until April 19, 1866. Over the next several years, the town moved several times until it was situated at its present site in June, 1882 when area residents were assured that the St. Louis & Emporia Railroad would run near the site. It also had a couple of different names. From February 19, 1869 through July 8, 1886, the post office retained the name of "Blue Mounds." At that time, it was changed to Babcock for a very few weeks. On July 31, 1886, it was officially changed to "Blue Mound." 

 

The Blue Mound Town Company was organized and a town site surveyed in April, 1882. The first building on the town site was a store that was moved from a site three miles to the southeast, by D. J. & W. S. Alley. A second store was moved in May from Wall Street by the Innis Brothers, and was utilized as a hotel until they completed a new one the following month. A third building was erected for a shoe shop by T. H. Blise, and a blacksmith shop was moved to the fledgling town from the same site as the first store, three miles to the southeast.

 

 

 

The growth of the town was very rapid. On May 1, 1882, there was but one or two buildings on the town site; but, by October 1st, there were 56 buildings including three general stores, a hardware store, a furniture store, two blacksmith shops, a drugstore, harness shop, lumber yard, a hotel, and a population of nearly 200 people. The first school was opened October 2, 1882, by Miss M. E. Weatherbie teaching 30 students.

A few are residents, not knowing the exact location of where the railroad would run, laid out another possible townsite called Cross City  one mile northeast of Blue Mound. Mound City obviously won out as Cross City was never developed. In fact, by the turn of the century, Blue Mound would have two branches of the Missouri Pacific Railroad running through it. It developed into a small railroad center when the coal beds of southeastern Kansas were opened and Blue Mound became a prominent shipping point. By 1910, it was called home to 596. Primarily an agricultural community today, the small town supports about 275 people.

St. Philippine Duchesne Memorial Park near Centerville, KansasCenterville - An unincorporated community located about 12 miles northwest of Mound City, Centerville is situated on Sugar Creek. A post office opened on March 15, 1855 and continues to be open today. Primarily a farming community, it became a shipping and supply town for the area when the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad came through. In 1910, it had a population of 175 people. We were unable to determine its current population. About three miles northeast of this small town is the St. Phillippine Duchesne Shrine, which marks the end of the Pottawatomie Trail of Death. Here, once stood St. Mary’s Mission, also referred to as the Sugar Creek Mission, which operated from 1839 to 1849. The site includes historical artifacts from the former St. Mary’s Sugar Creek Mission and settlement. It is located on 1525 Road, five miles west of Kansas Highway 7.

La Cygne - Situated along the Marais des Cygnes River in the northeast part of Linn County, See full article HERE.

Linn Valley - The newest city in Linn County is Linn Valley, officially established on November 23, 1998. However, it got its start in the late 1970's as 2,400 acre private recreational and residential community called Linn Valley Lakes. Luring visitors from nearby Kansas City, some 40 miles to the north, and other surrounding areas, the resort included more than 5,000 lots and almost 400 camping spaces. Over the years, lots were sold, homes were built, and a number of amenities were developed including a 35-acre spring-fed lake, an 18-hole golf course, a campground, community center, clubhouse, and more.

Prior to establishing the city of Linn Valley, the development was managed by a Property Owners Association, but was governed by the county. Often, the Property Owners Association found itself hampered, and in some cases prohibited, from enforcing the covenants and by-laws of the association. As a result, property owners signed a petition requesting the incorporation of a city of the third class, which was established in November, 1998. At that time, the population of Linn Valley was about 375 residents. Today, the city has a police department, city hall, city officials, and a volunteer fire department.

 

The community offers a variety of year-round recreational activities and events, including boating, fishing, a restaurant, miniature golf course, tennis courts, swimming beach, swimming pool, and more. In addition to the main 135-acre lake, seven more lakes and ponds are located within the resort. Today the city is called home to 800 residents.

 

Mound City (county seat) - First called Sugar Mound, a post office was established on March 15, 1855. The town's name was changed to Mound City on February 1, 1859. See full article HERE.

Parker - Post Office opened on December 12, 1888


Pleasanton
- Post office moved from Potosi to Pleasanton on August 10, 1869


Prescott 
- First called Coal Centre, a post office was opened on June 13,1870. Six months later, the town's name was changed to Prescott on December 27, 1870.


Trading Post - Founded as Blooming Grove, this small settlement gained a post office on September 2, 1857. Its name was changed to Trading Post on June 22, 1880. Its post office closed on August 30, 1902.

 

 

Compiled by Kathy Weiser/Legends of Kansas, updated February, 2012.

 

From the Legends' General Store

Purchase Historic Maps on CDHistoric Maps on CDFrom historic maps  of the United States and North America, to the Civil War Native American, Railroads, the Revolutionary War and numerous States & Cities, you'll find dozens archival maps in this product offering. Great for locating old towns and locations of places that have changed names. Digital images of maps are usually quite large. Shipped on CD's and affordably priced at just $13.99. Or get whole collections at greater savings. To see them all, click HERE!

Railroad Maps of the 1800's    Native American Maps    United States Maps    Revolutionary War Era Maps    Historic City and State Maps 

 
  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of America      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits  

Copyright © 2009-Present, www.Legends of Kansas.com is a web property of Legends Of America