LEGENDS OF KANSAS

 

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs

 

Extinct Towns of Linn County - Page 2

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

 

 

Oakwood - Situated in the western portion of Linn County about ten miles northwest of Mound City, its post office was established in September, 1858 with John Jones as the first Postmaster. The post office was frequently moved from one farmhouse to another until 1878, when a grange store was started under the management of W. B. Scott, and the post office was permanently moved there. In the early 1880's the town also supported a drug store, blacksmith shop and physician's office. Servicing the trains along the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad for a time, it had begun to decline by the turn of the century. Its post office closed in January, 1905, at which time it received its mail from Centerville. In 1910, the population was 40. The Oakwood Cemetery still exists, now listed as being in Centerville.

 

Paris - Located about six miles north of Mound City, this town got its as a rallying-point for pro-slavery men during the Kansas-Missouri Border War. Utilizing it as a base from which to make raids on Free-State men, it was called Paris, as many of the early inhabitants had come from Paris, Kentucky.

 

The Oakwood Cemetery near Centerville, Kansas.

The Oakwood Cemetery near Centerville, Kansas.

 

 

 

In January, 1856, a commission was appointed to locate the county seat of Linn County and two months later it was determined that it should be located in Paris Township. The sum of $100 was paid for a building to be used as a courthouse. A post office was established on January 8, 1857 with Jesse Brown as the Postmaster and the next month, the Paris Town Company was established to build the community. Soon, a store was established by Rogers, Badolet & Co.; another by Zadock Lewis and a saw-mill by Gwynn & Bronson.
 

By 1859, the Free-Staters had mostly prevailed over the pro-slavery men in the area and the first Republican Convention held in Linn County convened at Paris on March 12, 1859 with about 150 Republicans in attendance. Two delegates from Linn County Addison Danford and J. H. Jones, were chosen to go to Osawatomie on May 18, 1859, when the Republican Party of Kansas was organized.

 

On November 8, 1859, the first election was held to determine the county seat and Paris lost out to Mound City, with the winner having 508 votes to Paris' 471. At this time the community was at its peak, called home to some 300-400 people. The people of Paris rejected the election and on December 1, 1859, the "Battle of Paris" occurred. Not comprised of combat, this was a battle of will and words, though actual fighting almost occurred. Not wanting to move the county seat, citizens of Paris refused to relinquish the county records. As a result, forces from Mound City under Charles R. Jennison marched on Paris, stating there would be an attack if the records were not surrendered. In an attempt to keep the records, the Paris faction stated that they did not know where the records were. However, wanting to avoid a battle, they eventually surrendered them. After losing the county seat, the town began to diminish in size and importance and by 1867 it was almost entirely abandoned as a town. Its post office closed on September 1, 1869. However, there must have been a short resurgence in the community, as another post office was opened on January 1, 1870. But, it was short lived, closing just eight months later on August 11, 1870.

 

Potosi - Located on Mine Creek, about two miles east of Pleasanton, this town got its start in 1856. The original town company, comprised of all pro-slavery men, laid out the townsite on 320 acres. First called Hillsborough, it gained a post office in September, 1857 with John W. Garrett as Postmaster. A store was built by J.E. Hill, and Mr. Garrett along with O. H. Sykes built a saw mill, commencing it in 1857 and completing it in 1858. At one time, the town had six houses and about 30 inhabitants. By 1859, the area was under control of Free-State men, and the town's name was changed to Potosi in November. It took its name from the mining activity that had once taken place there. Explorers in the early 19th century came across abandoned mining sites along a creek south of Marais des Cygnes River. The background of these early miners remains a mystery; but, it inspired early residents of the region to name this waterway "Mine Creek." The town and township were named after Potosi, Mexico, a famous silver-producing region.

 

Potosi struggled from the beginning with the Kansas-Missouri Border War in the 1850's and the Civil War of the 1860s. In addition to the political struggles, the region also experienced a major drought from 1859 to 1861. During this time, hundreds left the area. After the Civil War, many began to start moving into the region again, but when Pleasanton was started, it spelled doom for tiny Potosi. Situated on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, Pleasanton grew quickly and Potosi was abandoned.

 

Twin Springs - This town was situated in the northern part of the county, near the Miami County line. A post office opened on October 19, 1857 with a Mr. Trovinger as the first Postmaster. A store was built in 1861 by Lafayette Dunbar and another in 1862 by Cady & Lane. Some time afterward, Bona Dale started a drug store, Mr. Whittacre a dry goods and grocery store, and Mr. Jamison a furniture store. When the prosperity of the town was at its height, there were about 300 inhabitants in it, and, besides its other business, two hotels. Barlow & Sanderson ran a stage line through it between Kansas City and Scott, some of the time running six stages each day. A Methodist church was erected there, which is now one of the best schoolhouses in the county. During a portion of the time, Cady & Lane did a business of $37,000 annually, there being two other stores there at the time; but when the railroad was built and La Cygne started, Twin Springs was abandoned, and its inhabitants and businessmen divided themselves up among other towns; some going to the then new town of Fontana, in Miami County, others to La Cygne, and still others to Fort Scott. Its post office closed on March 8, 1876.
 

 

More Extinct Towns of Linn County

 

Town

Post Office Dates

Additional Information

Cady 1871-1876

Coalburgh 1885-1889

Critzer/Montgomery 1888-1906

First called Montgomery when the post office was established on February 11, 1888, the town's name was changed to Critzer on January 28, 1890. Situated on the Missouri Railroad six miles west of Mound City, it had a population of 32 in 1910.

 

Farlinville 1868-1917

A post office was moved from Ridge to Farlinville on February 2, 1903. In 1910, it had a population of 102. It was situated in the central portion the Linn County on Sugar Creek. Its post office closed on June 15, 1917.

 

Findlay 1891-1906

A small hamlet situated in the western portion of the county on the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, it was about 15 miles northwest of Mound City. Its post office opened on May 27, 1891 and closed on January 31, 1906, after which it received its mail from Goodrich. In 1910 had a population of 25.

 

Goodrich 1871-1942

Goodrich, a village of Linn County, is situated in the northwestern portion, about 17 miles northwest of Mound City, the county seat. It was a station on the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad and  gained a post office on September 21, 1871. In 1910 had a population of 90. Its post office closed its doors on November 14, 1942.

 

Grange 1882-1884

Hail Ridge 1879-1888

Located about nine miles southwest of Mound City and five miles east of Blue Mound. It never had more than one store and a post office, which closed on May 25, 1888. By the turn of the century, it was no longer listed as a town in books and maps.

Hawkswing 1859-1863

Indian Creek 1862-1868

Jackson 1858-1859, 1862-1872

Jackson was the first post office established in Liberty Township on June 30, 1858 with Isaiah Jackson as the first postmaster appointed. However, when he had to leave the area, the post office was closed on September 26, 1959. It was reopened on June 23, 1862 and closed again on April 25, 1872.

Jasper 1898-1901

 

Kossuth 1893-1905

Linnville NA

Never had a post office, but was the county seat from May 22, 1865 to February 20, 1866. It was located about 3 miles east of Farlinville in Paris Township.

 

Linton/Miami/Woytown 1881-1903

Situated on the open prairie about 8 miles south of Pleasanton this community was named after H. H. Woy, one of the first settlers. C.O. Best was appointed postmaster when the post office opened on October 20, 1881. The first store was opened by S. W. Kiser. In the early 1880's, the settlement had about 25 residents. On January 24, 1884, the town's name was changed to Miami, which lasted until October 6, 1896, at which time it was changed again to Linton. Its post office closed on February 28, 1903. In 1910, it had a population of just 32 people.

Lost Creek 1873-1877

Mantey 1894-1903, 1904-1905
Orchard/Coonsville 1879-1885

Situated on Sugar Creek about 10 miles east of La Cygne, this village was first called Coonsville when the post office was established on September 12, 1879. The post office closed on January 20, 1880 and reopened under the name of Orchard a few months later on May 31st. Orchard's post office closed on September 10, 1885. In 1910, it had a population of 30.

 

Potomac 1882 Post office lasted only three months, opened on March 8, 1882 and closed on June 8, 1862.
Ridge 1866-1868
Rovella 1858-1863
Seaman 1883-1889, 1890-1903
Springfield 1870-1871
Wall Street 1872-1902 Located about 8 miles northwest of Mound City, its post office lasted for 30 years from March 13, 1872 to September 30, 1902.
Walnut Grove 1873-1875  

Zoro 1887-1889
 

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

 

Coloring History by Legends of AmericaColoring History by Legends of AmericaColoring History - Legends of America presents a coloring book with bits of history thrown in for a fun, relaxing learning experience. From the American Revolution to Route 66, short articles accompany coloring pages for all to enjoy. Book includes 20 detailed coloring pages and 18 historic text pages.
 

 

                       Coloring History by Legends of America            Buy Product $3.95          Coloring History by Legends of America

 
  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of America      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits  

Copyright 2009-Present, www.Legends of Kansas.com is a web property of Legends Of America