LEGENDS OF KANSAS

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs

Legends of Kansas  Legends Of America  Legends General Store  Legends Photo Shop

  Search our sites

Custom Search

Google

  Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter Page

Legends of Kansas

Counties
History
Legends & Tales
People
Places
Towns

  Also See:

  Legends of America

 

Legends of America's Rocky Mountain General Store

 

Old West Mercantile
Route 66 Emporium
TeePee Trading Post

Book Shelf

DVDs
Postcard Rack

Tin Signs

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legend's Photo Print Shop

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Writing Credits

 

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

The Kanza (or Kaw) Indians

Bookmark and Share

<<  Previous 1 2 3 4  Next  >>

 

Kaw Indian Conference, 1857From a period extending far back into the past -- far back of any written record -- the Kanza claimed, as a nation, the region that they ceded to the United States by the treaty of June, 1825.

 

From the time that Father Marquette inscribed the name of the "Kanza" nation on his map of 1673, a half century elapses before the name again appears; when special mention of the "Canzas" is made by Etienne Venyard, Sieur de Bourgmont, commander at Fort Orleans, who passed directly through Kansas from east to west, and north of the Kansas River in 1724, on his expedition to the Padoucas, in the West. He was accompanied by delegations from several Eastern tribes, consisting of their principal chiefs and warriors. Conspicuous among these was the "Kanza" delegation -- the general rendezvous for the other tribes being at the Kanza village on the Missouri River. The hospitality of the tribe, and their generous treatment of their visitors, is especially noted by Monsieur de Bourgmont in his journal.

There were formerly two Kanza villages on the Missouri River. The lower, about forty miles above the junction of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers, was situated on the west bank, between two high bluffs; the upper was a little above the mouth of Independence Creek, on the south bank of the river, and is described as having been located on "an extensive and beautiful prairie." It was called the "Village of the Twenty-four."

When Captain Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark expedition, visited the sites of these old villages in 1804, every trace of the lower had disappeared; but on a hill, a little in the rear, were the remains of an old French fort, of which the general outline of fortification and the ruins of the chimneys were plainly discernible. A fine spring of water was found in the vicinity. There is no clue to the history of the parties who built or occupied the fort, but the supposition is that they were destroyed by the Indians.

Enough of the remains of the upper village could be distinguished to show that it was quite extensive.

The Kanza were driven from their settlements on the Missouri River by the inroads of the Iowa and Sac tribes, who, by reason of their intercourse with the traders of the Mississippi Valley, were tolerably well supplied with firearms. The exact time at which this occurred is not known, but it was probably thirty years before the visit of Captain Meriwether Lewis, as the Osage were driven from the Missouri River by the Sacs Indians and forced farther south, onto the Osage River, about that time.

After the incursion of the hostile Indians, the Kanza, considerably reduced in number, located their principal village on the north bank of the Kansas River, about two miles below the confluence of the Big Blue River.

 

The site of this village was surveyed and mapped in the spring of 1880, under the supervision of Judge F. G. Adams, Secretary of Kansas Historical Society, who described it as follows:

 

 

 

A Kanza Indian bark house."The site is in Pottawatomie County, about two miles east of Manhattan, on a neck of land between the Kansas and Big Blue Rivers. The rivers here by their courses embrace a peninsular tract of about two miles in length, extending east and west.

 

At the point where the village was situated, the neck between the two rivers is about one-half mile in breadth, and the village stretched from the banks of the Kansas River northward for the greater part of the distance across toward the Blue. The site of the village is on the present farm of Honorable Welcome Wells, and is crossed by the Kansas Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad."

 

Although the Kanza and Osage tribes were of the same nation, their language nearly identical, and their government and customs similar, they were almost continually at war, from the time they were first known to Europeans until 1806, in which year a treaty was negotiated between the two nations by  the United States Government.

 

A grand council was held September 28, 1806 at the village of the Pawnee Republic, between Lieutenants Zebulon Pike and James Wilkinson on the part of the United States, and various chiefs of the Pawnee, Osage and Kanza Nations. The treaty formed between the two nations at that time, copies of which were forwarded to the several tribes through their respective chiefs, read as follows:

"In council held by the subscribers, at the village of the Pawnee Republic, appeared Wahonsongay with eight principal soldiers of the Kanza Nation on the one part, and Shinga-Wasa, a chief of the Osage Natione, with four of the warriors of the Grand and Little Osage villages on the other part. After having smoked the pipe of peace and buried past animosities, they individually and jointly bound themselves in behalf of and for their respective nations to observe a friendly intercourse and keep a permanent peace, and mutually pledge themselves to use every influence to further the commands and wishes of their great father. We, therefore, American chiefs, do require of each nation a strict observance of the above treaty, as they value the good will of their great father, the President of the United States. Done at our council fire, at the Pawnee Republican village, the 28th of September, 1806, and the thirty-first year of American independence.


(Signed),


Z. M. Pike
J. B. Wilkinson

The treaty thus formed was never broken by either nation, their common hostility being henceforward directed mainly to the Pawnee tribe, and the many marauding tribes that lived on the Western plains.

 

 

Continued Next Page

<<  Previous 1 2 3 4  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

 

Custom Postcards from Legends of AmericaCustom Postcards - Legends of America  introduces our own line of custom postcards. Utilizing original graphic designs and our own photographs, these postcards are exclusive and can only be found here! To see this new and expanding collection, click HERE!

 

Custom Postcards from Legends of America

 

                                            Copyright 2009-2014, www.Legends of Kansas.com a web property of Legends Of America