D. M. Frost - Editor and proprietor of the Ford County Globe,
Frost was born in Pennsylvania in 1846 and moved with parents to
at an early age. He first came to Kansas
in 1868, settling at Sheridan, then the terminus of the Kansas Pacific Railway.
There, he held a clerkship in a general mercantile establishment, but only for a
brief period. Early in the spring of 1869 he emigrated to
and entered the Moreno mines near Elizabethtown, where he was engaged in mining.
He returned to Sheridan, Kansas
in the fall of the same year, where he went back to work in a mercantile
establishment. In the spring of 1870 he followed the construction of the Kansas
Pacific Railroad, and finally located at Kit Carson,
which was the terminus of the railroad for another year.
There, he was made
deputy postmaster under Major J.A. Soword, and in connection with his official
duties taught a six months' term of school. He then became a partner in the
mercantile house of J.A. Soword, and the new firm was known as D.M. Frost &
Company. Later, he headed back to Kansas,
first settling in Dodge City,
before moving to Sergeant, or what was then known as the western state line of Kansas;
here he was appointed postmaster, and did a mercantile business in a small way.
He then returned to Dodge City
in the summer of 1874, where he worked at various jobs and was obviously
studying law along the way, because he was soon admitted to the bar as a
practicing attorney. In 1875 he was elected Representative of the One Hundred
and Third District of the State of Kansas,
and represented his district in the State Legislature of 1875-76. In 1877, he
engaged in the newspaper business and on married January 30, 1879 married Alma
H. Hagaman of
The couple would have two children. He established the
Ford County Globe
on December 25, 1887. During his years in Dodge, he held other officers
including the Police Judgeship and Justice of the Peace. Some time later, he was appointed United States Land Office receiver at
Garden City under the Harrison Administration and left Dodge City
for Garden City. Eventually, he disposed of his newspaper interests and moved to
the northwest where he died.
Dr. S. Galland - A physician and surgeon,
Galland was born in Posen, Prussia, Germany on May 11, 1822 and was educated in
his native country. He graduated from the old school of medicine at Berlin in
1847 and practiced in Germany for two years before immigrating to the United
States. He first settled in New
York City where he stayed until 1851, at which time he moved to
1857, he moved again to
and the following year, he married Bertha Leon, a German woman, on October 13th.
Next, he was working in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he stayed until 1868, at
which time he located in Kansas City,
Obviously a wanderer, Galland was next in Topeka, Kansas,
where he practiced medicine for about a year before returning to Kansas City,
After two years, he relocated to Dodge City , Kansas ,
again opening a practice that he ran until 1878, at which time he retired. While
in Dodge City ,
he also served as Township Treasurer and City Alderman.
Dr. G. B. Jarrett - A physician and surgeon,
Jarrett was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania in 1846 and educated at Jefferson
Philadelphia Medical College, graduating in March, 1870. He began practicing
in August, 1870, continuing there for a year before moving to Alameda County,
California. He stayed in
California for seven years, and while there married Almina C. Kimball, of Rochester, Minnesota in 1877. The couple would have one
daughter. He then returned to Pennsylvania before moving to Dodge City , Kansas
in October, 1882, where he once again opened a practice.
J. Fringer - Born
in Franklin County, Pennsylvania in 1845, he was raised in Canton, Ohio. There,
he began life in the drug trade and made that his life’s business. During the
Civil War, he enlisted for the 100-day service in Company C, One Hundred and
Sixty-second Ohio National Guard and was mustered out at expiration of service.
He first came to
Fort Dodge as a Quartermaster's Clerk in 1867, and after some
time clerked in a sutler store until he opened a drug business. He was appointed
as the Dodge City
postmaster in 1872, a position he held for the next decade. The same year, he
also opened a drug store in Dodge City .
He served as Justice of the Peace before the county was organized. He assisted
in organizing Ford County in 1873 and was appointed County Clerk. He also held the position of Clerk of
the District Court, until an election could be held. In 1876, he elected Probate
Judge, holding the office two terms; was again elected in the fall of 1882.
George M. Hoover -
A well known Dodge City
business man, Hoover was
was born in Canada on August 8, 1847. He came to the
area by way of the
Santa Fe Trail in 1871 and became Dodge City's second settler
in June, 1872. With a business partner named John McDonald, he set up the first
saloon in Dodge City
in a sod building but later built a wooden structure on Front Street. He became
the first elected mayor when Dodge City
was founded and served four terms. He was also a County Commissioner several
times and was
elected twice to the state legislature from
later was the founder and president of the State
Bank of Dodge, a position he held until his death. He married Margaret Carnahan
in 1875 and raised a foster son, George Curry, who became one of the Roosevelt
Rough Riders, and was first territorial governor of
By the time he died in July 1914, he had amassed an estate of at least $500,000,
leaving $100,000 of it to Dodge City, in addition to thousands of dollars more
for churches and $10,000 to build Hoover Pavilion in Wright Park, Dodge City.
James H. “Dog” Kelley - Though not a
lawman himself, Kelley was the Dodge City
Mayor at the time that several of the Old West's most famous lawmen worked under
as well as
Kelley served under
Armstrong Custer in the army and came to
Fort Dodge in 1872 when Custer’s 7th cavalry
was transferred there. He loved to hunt and race
and when he honorably discharged in 1872,
gave him a dozen greyhounds as a gift. This was how he acquired the nickname of
"Dog." He then went to Dodge City,
where he associated with P.L. Beatty in the restaurant business. Beatty became
the acting mayor in 1875 and James Kelley later followed in 1877, a position he
held until 1881. During this time, the early city
government and law enforcement were controlled by a group of men referred to as
the "gang." These men were merchants, saloonkeepers and gamblers in favor of a
wide-open town to accommodate the
Texas cowboys, with Kelly in the lead. However, in May,
1877, those same cowboys had become so rough and rowdy, that he wired
who was then in Deadwood, South Dakota,
to return to Dodge
to help tame the lawless men who were shooting up the town. When he returned, Wyatt was made the new town marshal and deputized his brother
Morgan . He plagued the courts for more severe sentencing, barred certain men from the town, and organized a "citizens’ committee" of reformers to help watchdog the streets.
By the time Kelley's term of mayor was over, the town had begun to settle down.
He continued his restaurant partnership with Beatty until 1885
and in 1886 he opened his famous Kelly Opera House.
For 26 years Kelly operated a saloon, restaurant and opera house
on the corner of Front Street and First Avenue.
N. B. Klaine - Editor of the Dodge City Times, Klaine was born in Bordentown,
New Jersey on February 5, 1839. He moved with his family to Rock Island,
in 1851 where he lived until 1859. He then moved to
and married Julia Kinkaid, a native of
in August, 1859. Three years later, in August 1862, he enlisted in Company K of
the Tenth Missouri Cavalry. Was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant and
commanded his company one year. He was mustered out in May, 1864 and went to
Warrensburg, Missouri in 1865, where he began the publication of the
Warrensburg Standard, which he continued for ten years. He also served as
City Clerk of Warransburg for a year. He represented Johnson County in the
Legislature in 1869-1870. Klaine first came to Dodge City
in November, 1877 and became the editor and proprietor
J. M. Leidigh - A large merchandise dealer and
banker in Spearville, Leidigh was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania on
December 14, 1842. He followed
agricultural pursuits and stock-raising before he entlisted in the army during
the Civil War, first joining
Company F of the 130th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry in August, 1862. He was wounded in the battle of Antietam and discharged in 1863.
He re-enlisted in 1864 in Company F of the 207th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, and was again wounded in Petersburg while leading his Company. He was
mustered out in June, 1865. That same year he married Kate A. Myers, of
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania and the couple would have four children. He and
his family first came to Kansas, settling at St Marys in 1870, but moved to
Hutchinson in 1872, where Leidigh engaged in ranching. However, in April, 1878,
he opened a general merchandise store in Spearville in April. In 1881, he
erected a new stone building and his stock increased dramatically over the next
decade, employing three men in the business. He also continued to ranch in the
Dr. T. L. McCarty - A physician, surgeon, and dealer in
a general stock of drugs and medicines, McCarty was born in Tuscola,
in 1848, and educated in his native state. He then went to the Jefferson Medical
College at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and graduated in 1870. He began his
where he practiced until he moved to Kansas.
While there, he married S.L. Artt, of Cynthiana, Kentucky in 1871 and the couple
would have one son. He moved to Dodge City in November, 1872 and opened a medical office, becoming the town’s first doctor.
He opened the City Drug Store in 1877. He also served as County Physician for Ford County a number of years, Superintendent of Public Instruction for six years, and was a
surgeon for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad for a number of years.
Continued Next Page
3 Next >>
Blog - Follow our travels as we
make our way across America finding lots of
out of the way
legends, historic sites,
photographic opportunities, and, every so now and then, even attempt
to hunt up a few
Legends of America is
our go to site for history, facts and information, our
is our first stop in developing these many articles. You'll see it here
first and get our personal impressions and reviews of the many places we
visit. We'd love to see you here!