LEGENDS OF KANSAS

 

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs

 
 

Extinct Towns of Douglas County, Kansas - Page 2

<<  Previous 1 2  Next  >>

 

FranklinLocated just four miles southeast of Lawrence when it was founded in October, 1853, Franklin was a pro-slavery stronghold situated between the Kansas and Wakarusa Rivers. It was one of the oldest settlements and Indian trading posts in Douglas County and the first stage stop west of Westport (now part of Kansas City, Missouri.) When Kansas was opened to settlement in 1854, a number of Missourians moved to Franklin, further strengthening its pro-slavery stance. In 1855, Franklin received a post office. Situated so closely to Lawrence, the "unofficial" Free-State capital, the settlers were constantly in conflict. Two battles were fought near here in 1856, the Battle of Franklin in June and the Battle of Fort Saunders in August. A number of small skirmishes continued through the fall, but pro-slave forces began to leave.

 

In 1857, the town was officially incorporated, a ferry was established on the Kansas River north of town and a general store was opened by Dr. R.L. Williams. During the Lawrence Massacre of August, 1863, there was such a demand for houses, that many of the dwellings in Franklin were moved to Lawrence and after the Civil War, Franklin dramatically declined. The post office closed its doors in 1867 and the entire townsite eventually was owned by Dr. R.L. Williams, who farmed the area for several years. Franklin is today, but a suburb of Lawrence. However, it must have had some development in later years, as the one street in town is lined with old sidewalks.

 

Franklin, Kansas building

This old homestead appears to be utilized today for construction  purposes, Kathy Weiser, March, 2009.

Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE!

 

Franklin, Kansas

An old sidewalk and farm in what was once Franklin, Kansas, Kathy Weiser, March, 2009.

Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE!

 

Globe, aka: Marion - When first established, this settlement was called Marion when the Marion Town Company laid off a town site of 320 acres in 1857-58. It was named it "Marion," in honor of General Francis Marion, of Revolutionary War fame. It was located in the extreme southwestern portion in the valley of Eight Mile Creek, about 12 miles west of Baldwin City. A post office was established in 1858 and the Town Company dug a well and built a blacksmith shop.

 

That same year, a store was opened by David Hubbard and a few houses were built built. Two years later, Hubbard expanded and his facilities became known as Hubbard's Stage Stand, which included the small store, the post office, and stage coach service.

 

Hubbard operated the stand from 1861 through 1863, when his business suffered the consequence of guerrilla warfare during the Civil War. Following the raid on the Diamond Spring Station in May, 1863, Dick Yeager and his fellow brigands rode eastward on the Santa Fe Trail. They stopped at Hubbard's place, shot the proprietor , stole a horse, and continued eastward. At Black Jack, they intercepted a stagecoach.

 

The only remaining building in Globe, Kansas.

Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE!

 

 

 

Robbing the passengers of their valuables, they pressed on to Gardner where they robbed the express office, stole clothing from some hotel guests, and took horses belonging to the hotel's proprietor. Fleeing Gardner, they soon crossed the Missouri line. David Hubbard survived the shooting but soon abandoned his business and accepted a position in the commissary department of the Thirteen Corps, United States Army in September, 1863.

The post office lasted until 1867, at which time it closed for two years, reopening in 1870. In August, 1881, the name of the town was changed to Globe. The post office shut down for the last time in 1900. In 1910, the town  had a population of 47 people. Today, Globe is an intersection along U.S. Highway 56 but the sign is located two miles north in the middle of nowhere.

 

In this vicinity is a DAR marker labeled Globe, but, it is somewhat misleading. The actual site is located one mile north of the current Globe Store on U.S. Highway 56. In 1856 the town of Marion was formed two miles south of the marker location. In 1881 the post office of Marion was moved and renamed Globe.


Globe and Hubbard's Stage Stand, the first of the trading establishments in Kansas was located seven miles east of the Osage-Douglas county line along present day Highway 56 at North 500 Road.

 

Hickory Point-Stony Point An extinct settlement area today, this small community was never large enough to have had a post office. It was located in an area from Signal Hill on the east, to almost Brooklyn on the west and stretching along the Narrows. During the days of "Bleeding Kansas", a property dispute arose between neighbors, Charles Dow, a Free-State man, and Franklin Coleman, a pro-slavery man, which ended in the brutal daylight slaying of Dow by Coleman. Charles Dow's body lay on the Santa Fe Trail until his friend Jacob Branson came to claim it. The murder of Dow triggered a series of confrontations that later led to the Sacking of Lawrence, the Wakarusa War, the Pottawatomie Massacre and the Battle of Black Jack. The site is located at North 650 Road between East 1500 & 1550 Roads.

 

Stull - First called Deer Creek, the area was settled by people of German ancestry, mainly Pennsylvania Dutch. By 1857, six families were living in the area and two years later,  the settlers organized the Evangelical Emmanuel Church. In 1867, they built a stone church on land donated by Jacob Hildenbrand. Sermons at the church were preached in German until 1908. Sadly, the church was torn down in March, 2002.

 

The small village received a post office in April, 1899, and the town took the name of Stull for its first and only postmaster Sylvester Stull. It was only open for four years and closed in 1903. In 1910 its population was just about 31. The Stull Church of Christ was built in 1913 and somewhere along the line, a bank was established. Like other small farming communities, Stull declined over the years and today is called home to just a few residents, some of whom are descendants of the original founders, and an old cemetery. Still located on maps of today, Stull is located about seven miles west of Lawrence on Highway 40.

 

More Extinct Towns

 

Town

Post Office Dates

Additional Information from Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, 1912, and the Kansas State Historical Society

Aeolia

None

 

Akron

1870

Post office only open for a month, moved from and to Willow Springs.

Aladdin

1875-1881

 

Alexander

None

 

Alfred

1875-1878, 1882-1902

 

Alladin

None

 

Appanoose

1857-1860, 1870-1902

First established in Franklin County before moving to Douglas County. In 1910 was described as a small hamlet situated in the extreme southwestern corner, 8 miles southeast of Overbrook, the nearest railroad station. At that time, it had a population of less than 20.

 

Baden

1883-1886, 1888-1891

Situated on the Santa Fe Trail, a marker commemorates the old site.

Bald Eagle

None

 

Barbers Station

None

 

Belevue

None

 

Belmont

None

 

Benicia

None

 

Black Jack Point

None

 

Blackfau, aka: Blackfaw

None

 

Blanton

1855-1856

 

Bloomington

1855-1858

 

Blue Jackets Crossing, aka: Blue Jackets Ford

None

 

Blue Mound

None

 

Brooklyn, aka: Brooklin, Brookline

None

Brooklyn was settled as early as 1855 and was incorporated in 1858. All but the saloon/general store were destroyed by William Quantrill's men as they retreated from burning down Lawrence in August 1863. Today, only a Santa Fe Trail marker exists at the old townsite. 

Calcutta

1875-1881

 

Camp Sackett

None

  

Chandler

None

 

Chester

None

 

Clearfield

1885-1900

A small hamlet in the southeastern part of Douglas County, it was located on a branch of the Wakarusa River, four miles east of Vinland. In 1910, it had a population of less than 20 inhabitants.

Collinwood Farm

None

 

Coon Point

None

 

Douglas, aka: Douglas City

1855

Post office moved to Lecompton.

East

None

 

Echo

1874-1875, 1878-1900,

 

Elysian Plains

None

 

Excelsior

None

 

Fall Leaf

None

 

Gideon

1883-1902

 

Glasgow City

1875

 

Glen Burn

1856-1857

 

Glendale

1881-1894

 

Grover

1886-1895, 1897-1899

Located in the extreme northwestern part of the county it was situated on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad about  15 miles northwest of Lawrence.

 

Hesper

1868-1900

A hamlet located in the eastern portion of the county, five miles southeast of Eudora. In 1910, it had a population of 36 and the Friends had an academy there.

Hog Back

None

 

Hole in the Rock

None

 

Holling

1869-1900

 

India

None

 

Jefferson, aka: Jefferson City.

1865-1872

First established in Jefferson County.

Kanwaka, aka: Kanawha, Kannaka, Kanwaca

1857-1870, 1898-1900

 

Kennedy Valley

None

 

Kezerville, aka: Kegerville, Kozerville

1856

 

Lake View, aka: Horseshoe Lake

1898-1914

A hamlet in the northern part of Douglas County located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad and and a branch of the Kansas River, five miles northwest of Lawrence. In 1910, it had a money order post office, telegraph and express facilities, and a population of 15.

Lane

1855-1856

 

Lapeer

1873-1902

 

Lone Star, aka: Bond

1875-1953

Name changed from Bond to Lone Star in October, 1899. The village was located in the central portion of the county, about eight miles southwest of Lawrence. In 1910, it had a money order post office, some local trade, and a population of 75.

Louisiana

1856-1857

 

Marshall

None

 

McKinney

1857-1868

 

Media

1878-1903

Post office moved from Prairie City.

Midland

None

A hamlet located on the Union Pacific Railroad about four miles north of Lawrence. In 1910, it had a population 50.

Miller's Springs, aka: Miller, Millerburg

None

 

Mission Camp

None

 

Mount Aeolia

None

 

Mount Hope

None

 

Mount Oread

None

 

Mount Vernon

None

 

Neoma

None

 

Nevada City

1855-1857

 

New Boston

None

 

New Haven

None

 

North Lawrence, aka: Jefferson, Jefferson City. 

1865-1885

First established in Jefferson County. Name changed from Jefferson to North Lawrence in December, 1872.

Oak Ridge

None

 

Orbondale, aka: Auburndale.

None

 

Ottawa

None

 

Pacific City

None

 

Palmyra

1857-1862

Town merged with and name changed to Baldwin City.

 

Prairie City

1856-1878

Moved to Media.

Red Deer

None

 

Redemption City

None

 

Saint Charles

None

 

Salem

None

 

Scottsville

None

 

Sebastian

None

 

Seigel

1900-1901

 

Sibley

1884-1934

A hamlet located on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, seven miles south of Lawrence. In 1910, it had a post office and express facilities and a population of 25. The railroad name was Sibleyville.

Sigel

1862-1874, 1875-1888, 1891-1896

 

Stanton

None

 

Stewart

None

 

Titus/Fort Titus

None

Part of Lecompton today.

Tokeska

None

 

Twin Mound

1858-1903

 

Tyler Place

None

 

Wakansa

None

 

Wakarusa

1857-1866

 

Wakefield

None

 

Walker City

None

 

Washington

None

 

Washington Creek

1873-1882

 

Weaver

1891-1903

A hamlet situated in the extreme northeastern portion of the county on the south bank of the Kansas River, about three miles northeast of Eudora.

Wheatland

1856

 

Willow Springs, aka: Davis

1855-1900

Name changed from Davis May, 1870

Wilson's Springs

None

 

Winchester

None

 

Worden, aka: Warden

1884-1904

A hamlet located in the south central part of the county about seven miles west of Baldwin City. In 1910 the population was 26.

Yankee Town

None

 

Yellow Springs

None

 

 

Compiled and edited by Kathy Weiser/Legends of Kansas, updated March, 2017.

 

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

 

New products from Legends' General Store

 

 
  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of America      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits  

Copyright 2009-Present, www.Legends of Kansas.com is a web property of Legends Of America