LEGENDS OF KANSAS

History, Tales, and Destinations in the Land of Ahs

Legends of Kansas  Legends Of America  Legends General Store  Legends Photo Shop

  Search our sites

Custom Search

Google

  Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter Page

Legends of Kansas

Counties
History
Legends & Tales
People
Places
Towns

  Also See:

  Legends of America

 

Legends of America's Rocky Mountain General Store

 

Old West Mercantile
Route 66 Emporium
TeePee Trading Post

Book Shelf

DVDs
Postcard Rack

Tin Signs

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legend's Photo Print Shop

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Writing Credits

 

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

Council Grove - Supplying the Santa Fe Trail

Bookmark and Share

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

 

The county seat of Morris County and one of the most historic towns of Kansas, Council Grove is situated on the Neosho River in the eastern part of the county.

 

The place where Council Grove now stands was mentioned by travelers as early as 1820, and in 1825, a treaty was negotiated with the Osage Indians for a right-of-way for the Santa Fe Trail, a portion of which would later become the main street of Council Grove. The treaty between U.S. commissioners and the Osage Indian chiefs took place in “The Grove,” thereby providing the name of the place.

 

Long before a town ever developed, many who traveled along the Santa Fe Trail gathered their wagons together here, and moved westward in larger groups, as beyond the “Grove” the trail was often fraught with Indian attacks.

 

Council Grove, Kansas, 1885

The Santa Fe Trail ran right down Council Grove's Main Street. Vintage photo, 1885. This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE.

 

 As early as 1825 and continuing for the next two decades, a large oak tree, dubbed “The Post Office Oak," was utilized by passing caravans to leave messages for incoming travelers. These messages placed in a cache in the base of the tree, held various types information, such as water, danger, or opportunities on the trail.

 

In the spring of 1846, the Kanza Indians signed a treaty with the government  ceding their reservation land along the Kansas River near Topeka in exchange for a new but smaller reservation located along the upper valley of the Neosho River, in what is now Morris County. In April, 1847, the 20 square mile Kanza reservation was established near Council Grove and the Indians were moved.

 

That same year, Seth M. Hays became the first settler in what would become the settlement of Council Grove. Here, he established a trading post for the purpose of trading with the Indians. He also built the first house – a log cabin on the north side of the old Santa Fe Trail near the west bank of the Neosho River. The cabin served as both a store and a dwelling, which housed Mr. Hays, his adopted daughter and a freed slave.

 

In 1848 a man named Mitchell came to Council Grove as a government blacksmith, bringing with him his wife, who was the first white woman in Morris County.

 

In 1849, the Methodist Episcopal Church began to build the Kaw Mission at Council Grove. It opened in 1850 and Thomas S. Huffaker was its first teacher, a position he held until 1854 when the school was closed. The Kaw Mission would later become the first school for the settlers' children.

 

For the next several years a number of other traders found their way to the area and many put up trading establishments along the Santa Fe Trail. The traders did well as for years, as Council Grove was the last point of trade on the trail until travelers reached New Mexico.

 

From 1849 to 1854 it was a very prosperous period for Council Grove, and the reputation it had acquired as a trading post made it a point well known, as least to all those making a trip across the plains. By 1854 the men doing business in Council Grove were Seth M. Hays, the Choteau brothers, Columbia brothers and Charles H. Withington; and these, with a few employees, and several men in the employ of the Government, constituted the entire settlement, not only of Council Grove but of Morris County.

 

 

 

In October, 1854, Governor Andrew Reeder visited Council Grove, with a view to making it the territorial capital, but the land was at that time an Indian possession.

 

The first hotel in the town was built by M. Gilkey in 1856, on the south side of Main Street, directly opposite the log cabin built by Seth Hays in 1847. The next home was built by Baker and Sewell. The following year, Seth Hays also built the Hays House, which today, is the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi River. The Last Chance Store was built the same year.

 

In 1858, the Legislature approved the incorporation of the Town Company of Council Grove, with the following men as officers -- T.S. Huffaker, Christopher Columbia, Seth Hays and Hiram Northrup. Soon the town site was surveyed and a settlement “officially” began. The first newspaper, called the Kansas Press was established in 1859 by S.N. Wood.

 

Kaw Mission, Council Grove

The Kaw Mission still stands in Council Grove today, serving as a museum.

Although from its earliest days, the area had considerable business, the growth of the town itself rather slow. Its business was derived chiefly, if not wholly, from the Indians and from wagon trains traveling over the Santa Fe Trail. In 1860, there were but two stores in town, one operated by Seth Hays and other by Malcolm Conn. At that time, the entire county had only about 770 residents. The terrible drought of 1860 left not only Morris County, but all of Kansas, wasted and desolate, and diminished the population of the county even further.

 

In 1861, S.N. Wood sold the Kansas Press to A. I. Baker, who changed the name of the newspaper from the to the Council Grove Press. However, Baker ran the paper for only about a month before he suspended publication. In the meantime, the Civil War had erupted and when Colonel S.N. Wood returned to Council Grove, he found that A.I. Baker had been killed by Missouri bushwhackers and he resumed publication the newspaper. Wood continued to manage the paper until 1865 when he sold it. The following year, it moved to another county.

 

 

Continued Next Page

Council Grove between 1870 and 1875.

Council Grove between 1870 and 1875.

 

Pioneer-Conn Store, Council Grove, Kansas

Malcolm Conn's Pioneer Store.

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

From Legends' Photo Shop

Unique Greeting Cards Exclusive to Legends of AmericaCustom Greeting Cards - Combining our great vintage photographs with words, wisdom and proverbs of the Old West, these photo cards are unique to the Legends of America.

 

Unique Greeting Cards Exclusive to Legends of America

 

                                            Copyright © 2009-2014, www.Legends of Kansas.com a web property of Legends Of America