Towns & Places of Atchison County, Kansas
<< Previous 1
- County Seat
Atchison County map, 1899.
Cummings/Cummingsville - An
unincorporated community located 9.5 miles southwest of
the town was established in Center Township along the Atchison, Topeka
& Santa Fe Railroad in 1872. It was named in honor of a local resident
and founder, William Cummings, and initially called Cummingsville. Robert Kennish was the first settler in the new town site in
November, 1872 and opened a store with a post office the next month. Kennish
became the first postmaster in the post office which opened on December 1, 1872.
A Methodist church was built in 1880 and the first school was taught that
winter. By the early 1880's the town had several businesses and was called home
to about 70 people. In June, 1884, the town and post office's name was
officially shortened to Cummings. By 1910, the village had grown to some 175
Today, though a small town, Cummings still has a post office. It is
located about ten miles southwest of Atchison
on U.S. Highway 59.
Located about seventeen miles southwest of Atchison,
Effingham got its start soon after the building of the old Central Branch
Missouri Pacific Railroad. Its post office opened in January, 1868 and was
named for one of the founders of the town. It was
laid out on a part of the McGilvery farm, and from the first, was the
supply and shipping town for a large and rich agricultural district.
Several churches were established early on. The first to be built was the
Catholic Church in 1874. It was then attended by the Benedictine Fathers
of Atchison who came
by horseback to celebrate Mass for the early community. Four years later a
resident priest was appointed. By the early 1880's it boasted several
general stores, a black smith, bakery, furniture store, three doctors, a
grade school and about 400 people. By 1897, the congregation of the St.
Ann's Catholic Church had outgrown its church building and a new one began
to be built in 1897, which continues stood for the next century. Ten years
later, a school was started in a two-room building just west of the the
church. Classes were taught by the Benedictine Sisters, who continued
their task until 1968, when the school was closed. Unfortunately, the
church was destroyed by a fire in April, 2008.
The rest of the community was also growing and
by 1910, it was called home to 674 people, numerous stores including a
lumber yard, two hardware stores, a drug store, three restaurants, a
hotel, two banks, the Atchison County
High School, and a weekly newspaper called the New Leaf, which is
still published today.
Located on U.S. Highway 159, Effingham is
still called home to about 580 people. The rural community has a post
office, several businesses, and a couple of churches.
Huron - Located on the Omaha Branch of the
Missouri Pacific Railroad, in Lancaster Township, Huron got its start as a
railroad town. The land was owned by Colonel D.R. Anthony of Leavenworth,
who donated to the railroad company 20 acres of land. In April, 1882 the
town was platted and by the end of the year, the town had 50 homes, several
businesses and a post office. It was named for one of its founders. The
following year the Baptists and Presbyterians both built churches.
By the turn of the century Huron was the
fourth largest in Atchison County and an important shipping and
supply community. In 1910 it had 300 residents, a bank, schools, several
general stores, a blacksmith shop, lumber yard, grocery store, hotel,
drug store, hardware and
implement house, a barber and a blacksmith. However, over the next several decades Huron declined.
Its post office closed in May, 1992 and today its population is just 54
souls. It is located about 17 miles northwest of Atchison
on U.S. Highway 73.
Lancaster - Situated
ten miles west of
just off U.S. Highway 73, Lancaster got its start in 1857 when it was platted by
J. W. Smith, President of the Town Company. It was named for the city in
Ohio. It gained a post office the following year in March, 1858 and Smith
was named its postmaster.
An advertisement promoting the new town appeared in the Atchison newspaper
Freedom's Champion on October 16, 1858, stating in part:
"Lancaster City is the name of a new town just springing into existence.
It is located 10 miles direct west of Atchison on the great military road to Forts Kearney, Laramie, Bridger, and to Santa Fe,
Territory, California, etc., all passing through the town site. Also
roads leading from Nebraska City, St. Joseph, Doniphan,
and to Grasshopper Falls, Topeka, Lecompton and Lawrence.
A more beautiful situation for a large and prosperous city could not be
found in the Territory, or the Great West. Its site is rolling and dry,
climate healthy and salubrious as heart could wish for. The surrounding
country cannot be surpassed for its magnificent undulating prairies, being
one of the most fertile agricultural regions in the whole country.
Excellent coal, building stone and timber can be found within two and a
half miles. Quite a number of buildings are already erected, among which
will be found a large and commodious hotel, a good store, blacksmith and
carpenter shops, post office, etc."
In 1861, a Pony Express Station was located in Lancaster.
Situated on the Missouri Pacific Railroad,
the town soon became a supply point for the surrounding area and several
businesses, a hotel, and school were built. A Methodist and Baptist Church
were built later. Its post office briefly closed in March, 1863 but
reopened in April, 1865.
Though Lancaster did not prove to be all that its promoters expected of it, it continued as
a good trading point for many years. By 1910, the small community had a bank, several businesses, a public
school, three churches and a population of 220.
Over the next century, Lancaster maintained a fairly steady population.
Today, Lancaster is still incorporated, still has a post office and boasts
almost 300 residents.
Continued Next Page
<< Previous 1
Legends' General Store
Towns (America's Lost World) 2 Disc DVD
Unearth America's Lost World! This 5-Part series ventures into the roots
of our nations high hopes and hard labors to discover the towns that
boomed fast and went bust even faster. Through original footage,
interviews with experts and archival materials, this fascinating
documentary takes viewers on an amazing journey through our abandoned
history. From the deserts of California and mountains of Colorado to the
forts, trails and battle sites of war, witness the precious remains of the
past that only exist today as shadows of former glories and empty
time on DVD! Legends of America's own
Dave Alexander, along with noted Ghost Town author Philip Varney, authors
Jeff Barnes, Kenneth Jessen and many more, even an appearance from Bob
Boze Bell. Created and Produced by Award-Winning Documentarians, Centre
Communications, exclusively for Mill Creek Entertainment. Total Running
time 5 hours, 34 minutes.